Saturday, August 27, 2011

Online Buying....Ebay, Photography forums......

Wichita Kansas is a city of nearly 500K people and we are now down to 2 camera stores (at one time there were 5 spread across town and the largest was almost in the center of town.)... when I switched back to Nikon for digital I went to what used to be the largest but is still the nicest store to see what could be had....the owner told me he gave up the Nikon dealership and was now canon....but the other guy about 2 or 3 miles away has been a canon dealer for ever......So I had to start shopping online for what I needed and wanted, to this I am no stranger.....it seems as If I had almost always been a mail order buyer before the internet, due to the fact that no one carried what I was looking for and seriously all the cam stores carried off brand no name accessories at that time...any way......I do spend a lot of time on eBay looking and checking prices of all sorts of photo items and other stuff I have that I want to sell......I have been told that I was crazy to sell and buy on Ebay, instead of the friendly Photo forums....well I sell on Ebay and only accept Paypal as a form of payment...so your safety as well as mine...........but.....the reason i started this bloated dialogue is this......I cannot believe how many people have stuff for sale for too high a price when the whole item is not there.....for instance....I was looking at a lens the title was quite catchy....Like new such and such lens in mint condition ......included in the auction is the lens and front and rear caps.......email seller asking do you have the lens hood......and get a rude response...WAS IT LISTED IN THE AUCTION....i SAID LENS AND CAPS.....2ND EMAIL.......do you have the lens bag?......response: NO ...WAS IT LISTED...GUESS YOU CANNOT READ...LENS AND CAPS THAT IS ALL.......3rd email....Can I pay extra for insurance......RESPONSE....NO!!......
I see all sort of items stating MINT Condition but missing parts.....how is that MINT.......I mean If I offer a car for sale in near Mint or in Mint condition wouldn't require all the parts to be there....seriously folks......I do not care about boxes or warranty cards on used equipment but I want the lens, front and rear caps, lens hood and the protective bag if it is advertised as mint.....now I can even allow for a set screw mark in the rubber bottom of a battery grip and still have it advertised as "like new but used".......

so folks read the whole advertisement and ask lots of questions when buying online and for your own safety use PayPal and make sure the person has at least a 3 day return if not satisfied if the item costs over $20.00 ...selling something used and not having a return is bad also make sure it is insured so if UPS, Fed Ex or USPS damages it a refund can be had.........


Happy and SAFE shopping..............

No comments: