Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Copying Files from Small Hard Drive to Larger Hard Drive

My 2.5" laptop external drive was full, this was meant to be a portable hard drive for traveling......but somehow it became just another one of my external drives.....Then all of a sudden I was going to need it and needed to have it empty.....Well I got lucky and found a great deal on Seagate 2TB internal drives (which is what I started using instead of external drives for storage)and I picked up one...........now to copy all the stuff off the 2.5 inch external to the 3.5" Seagate.......I moved all the files that had been imported thru Lightroom 3 and then started the mass exodus of the remaining 29,000+ files.....highlighted all the folders and dragged them to their new home and waited for the Win 7 pop up that would tell me how long this move would take......approx 10 hours.......Time for bed.....so I went to sleep to get this morning and still have over an hour to wait for the move to be finished....So I took hold of the new Seagate 2TB drive to see how hot it is....to my surprise it was not hot at all.....wow the drive is cool the dock is cool.....and everything is super quiet.
So what I use is this: ThermalTake Black Widow Blac X Gaming Hard Drive Dock...this is a single bay dock that I have been using for a couple of years but this is the 1st time I have used it to move files like this...normally I insert a hard drive and download my memory cards from my camera and do my Lightroom and photoshop work then I am done...so it is turned on and running for a few hours (1-4) at a time.....so a 10 hour continual run and nothing heated up is great, as I forgot to turn on my little 10" fan that I have to keep things cooled down since the dock nor the hard drives have a cooling fan (of course).......
My reason for using a hard drive dock and internal hard drives for storage is pretty simple....I use a 3 drive back up system: 1st drive is main working drive and then I have 2 drives that are exact copies of the 1st drive for back up. Now when you do this with external harddrives in enclosures, it takes up tons of room to store external harddrives but internal drives take up a lot less room and can be easily stack on top of each other in a good quality gun safe for safe keeping (make sure the gun safe has a fire rating of at least 1 hour or more)........As the laptop drives get larger in capacity I will be changing from 3.5" desktop drives to the 2.5" laptop drives to save even more space.

No comments: