Monday, July 26, 2010

Post Processing of Digital Images

I started in Professional Photography a little over 30 yrs ago.....At that time there were 4 or 5 Professional labs (plus a plethora of 1 hr labs) here.  i tried each Pro lab out with a roll of film and decided on the Quality of work, customer service, price, & if they were open on Saturday mornings as to who got my business..........so now I was able to shoot, put my film in an envelope with instructions as to what I wanted, slip thru a mail slot in the building and go pick up in 3 or 4 days.......Life was good I could concentrate on shooting and honing my craft.........

Digital came and I was with a processing lab...all the labs still printed but as to the actual Processing of the image, was left upto the photographer.......that means new computer, or at least a better than low end computer, software like photoshop or painter or some other processing software...which is now cutting into my shooting time or sleeping time :-}} ........so I was on the search for a processor that I could trust to turn my images into wonderful files for printing.......well the search literally took a few years.......basically because there did not seem to be any one doing that work, secondly because when I did find a random person claiming to be a professional processor they charged more for processing than I charged to shoot a wedding.........so I was backed into a corner.....it was not that I did not want ot learn to use photoshop but simply a time issue for me.......I like to work in photoshop but just like my 4x5 darkroom in the past, i wanted to do my fine art work myself and leave the weddings and portraits to others.........so I searched on I started seeing a few processing companies pop up here and there but still none that fit the bill with me......mostly because they had minimum quantity for wedding images and they would not mess with fewer images, so no portrait processing....so I searched on............then I found a mention of a company Called HAPPY FISH Professional Album Design and Post Processing ........ Looks promising.....sent an inquiry, got a very profession and swift reply......I asked questions that were actually answered on the the home page, but not once was a scolded for not reading the website......I was politely and professionally given answers and they have pricing set from 0 (yes zero) image on up.........so you can send them 1 image to run thru Lightroom or several hundred or more..........pricing is very good I believe...as I write this I am FTP'ing almost 400 images to be processed............

Life may be great once again........if I can concentrate on the shooting and let Happy Fish be my processor and not have to double or triple my prices just to pay the processing........


My FTP service is FileZilla an open source FTP software.....seems to work good but it is slow...or it could be the amount of stuff open and running at same time that is slowing it down........

I am anxious to see Happy Fish's results with my files..........

No comments: