Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lexington Ky Project Finished: Installment 1

Well I am back in Wichita from Lexington Ky........it was a very intersting trip to an area I had no idea about except that Lexington is the Horse Capital of the World.  That is right the Horse Capital of the World.....with farms ranging from a scant few acres to farms of tens of thousands of acres with horses worth very little to well into the millions each......but my assignment was to NOT SHOOT THE HORSES or anything associated with the horses.........Hmmmmmmmm.........then what do I shoot.......Assignment the City of Lexington......Oh yeah the city.....that would be buildings and people and anything but horses.........OK.....

My first stop was the Lexing National Guard Armory....I was disappointed that there was nothing to see.....of course armory can mean small arms....rifles, pistols and handheld rocket rockets and launchers...... but I was actually on my way to a church and cemetary built shortly after the Revolution........

1st the National Guard Armory:
My second stop was the aviation Museum......a lot to see here and as all aviation museums it is very cramped......to the gills so to speak.............my hosts / guides were very helpful and nice.....
The Aviation Museum:
1978 replical of the 1908 Sellers Quadplane:
A WACO RNF:

A couple of 'copters:

 MY GUIDES THRU THE MUSEUM: L-R: RICHARD WOOD, BOB COLE, TIM SMITH & DON SPROULE:

 First time to see an Air Force Plane with a Tail Hook :-}}



Really think these guys were waaaaay off course, No Naval Installation any where near Lexington:  Navy Seahawk.
Had to do a little googling and finally found the H.E. "TEX" SUTTOR website and the history of the company......but no reference to the welcome sign on the door"Welcome to Air Horse 1".......but I will be contacting them for an explanation.........One of the oldest and largest equine forwarding companies in the world.......the rates are sliding depending on how many horses will fly.....id do not believe that all have to be from same stable or owner but a single horse rund approx $30K for a one way flaight in the US.....it can drop to as little as 3K if near a full load......they get special privileges to take off more gradual and to have a much longer landing approach so the horses are not subjected to  the quick take off and landings that people are.....they also have caretakers riding with the horses to help keep them calm and refreshed with hay and food and water............
 H.E. "TEX" Suttor's Air Horse 1:
One of the finest Equine Forwarding Companies in the World
One my way to the Pisgah Presbyterian Church I passed this majestic entrance to a horse farm.......
Entrance to Shadwell Farm:
 

and this smaller farm which looked really nice............
I liked the clouds so I shot this small Kentucky Farm:


As I came down the road toward Pisgah Presbyterian Church I see this castle ahead of me....so I make a hard right turn and look in amazment.......this thing is Huuuuuge!!!
 Castle Post.....Yes this is a very large solid rock castle just out side Lexington:
I actually went back so many times to shoot Castle Post That a State Trooper pulled up behind me one evening to ask why I was spending so much time there and then he saw the window sticker "Help Stop Crime: SHOOT BACK" .... that sparked another conversation and he actually helped me carry equipment to and from my Trooper............I must say no police officer gave me any problems about shooting anything.....the above mentioned trooper got into asking opinons on camera's and what I meant by sweet light.......and as I told him that majick time of day is really subjective to the photog.....some like the sun to show some like it to be beyond horizon.......I was looking for special clouds and lighting on the Castle....so I needed the sun a bit higher in the clouds..........


 
I finally arrived at the Church......pretty much like I expected....small and made of stone.....of course this was my first upclose look at the Dry Wall Fences of Ky..........
PISGAH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Founded 1784:

Not the oldest grave I am sure.......
Another view of the Church:
I was running late to my own schedule so I did not get to scour the cemetery like I would have liked to but i shot a couple of headstones to show it was just barely post American Revolution when it was built and used.
On my way back into town i see this very cool mailbox.....of course my heart twinges as it makes me miss my own lab Sadie even more.........

Just liked this mail box:
the farm the mailbox lived at.....for some reason I thought it might have been FishBack Farm.....then I spotted the sign:
Trackside Farm:

and  was wondering if there was a race track near by.....but then i bounced across this:
The Track At the Side of the Farm:




Well my assignment was to NOT shoot horses or horse stuff.....well so far not 100% on "track"
but I am close.....gotta have a bit of horsey stuff......more to come..............

This is the  end of most of my 1st days shooting around Lexington.....and I know I should be shot as I posted images and no real story.............

No comments: